Before the great shutdown of 2020, I have always traveled with my kids. We go to malls and events together. Most of the time I am the only adult tagging three kids with me. I worry that one of my children would let go of my hand and get lost in the crowd. Moreover, when I need to drop off my kid at special classes, I worry about how he could contact me when he’s too young to own a mobile phone. The solution to my predicament was to get a GPS smartwatch for my firstborn. He can wear the watch and call me using it whenever he needs me. It worked for us for years until recently, we learned about Huawei Watch Kids 4 Pro. This new smartwatch is a game-changer.
Unboxing of Latest Huawei Watch for Kids
We unboxed the smartwatch and were amazed at the features that come with it. It has a 1.41 inch AMOLED touch display with 5MP front camera. It is very cute in its pink color, perfect for my daughter. She got excited with the watch and wanted to try it right away!
To set-up, you need to buy first a SIM card. Though I was able to set up the wifi of the watch, it still asked for a SIM card before we could actually use it. Since I am a Globe user, I got her a Globe SIM as well.
It is important to make sure to load up your number.
Afterwhich, I was able to connect the watch to the Huawei FamCare app on my Huawei mobile phone. I looked for this app on my other Android phone with a different brand. But it was not on Google Playstore. However, I can still download it but through a website already.
Another app that I installed on my Huawei mobile phone was the Huawei Vision. This app allows making video calls to the watch of my daughter.
Here are the key features of the Huawei Watch for Kids 4 Pro.
- 1 GB RAM and 8 GB ROM
- 800 mAH large capacity battery
- 5 Megapixel HD camera. 85-degree wide-angle selfies and HD video calls
- Has unique LED lights on either side of the watch that flashes in a beating rhythm
- Application icons are colorful and bright that is appealing to children
- has a 9-system positioning technology that helps parents understand their kid’s location
- Parents can enter a 24/7 safe zone setting
- SOS button that calls the administrator if you press the FUN button for 5 seconds. It also sends a real-time photo of the child’s surrounding
- Parents can manage the child’s contacts. Allows them to set the watch to reject and automatically block calls from strangers
- Water-resistant up to 50 meters. The speaker can be easily drained with a click.
- Has a swim-training mode
- Have activities for skipping ropes, sit-ups, walking
- Your child can add friends and compete with them in the physical activities
- You can connect to wifi
- Has an ambient and UV light sensor
- With Acceleration, Gyro, and Geomagnetic sensors
After using the watch for a few weeks, here are my reasons why you should consider getting one for your child:
- You do not have to worry about the whereabouts of your child. You can check her location through your mobile app. We traveled a couple of weeks back and the location shown on the application was so correct and concise.
- Your child can send you messages (text, images, or voice) or call you using her watch.
- A child can press the SOS button and the watch will automatically dial your number as administrator. The watch will also send a photo of your child’s surroundings.
- If you are at work and would like to check on your child, you can connect through video calls.
- It blocks calls from strangers. So you have less to worry about other people who are sending messages or calls to your child.
- Parents can read the SMS message to the watch through the app on their phone.
- You can check the battery level of the watch using the app on your phone.
- You can assign other family members for the watch to call if your number is unavailable.
- Water-resistant! Kids love to play in water so less worry if she forgets to remove it before going to the water.
- Simply love the physical activities that the watch can challenge the child to do.
If there are things to consider before using this watch, for me these would be loading data to the SIM and the battery life of the watch.
Although the watch is fast-charging, you may still need to charge it every other day to make sure it doesn’t get drained. My kid plays with it, taking photos, etc. And that eats battery life, too.
Just like other smartwatches that use GPS, you need data for them to work. If your child is not with you the whole day (e.g. going to school), you really have to allot a budget for the load of the watch.
Overall, the Huawei Watch Kids 4 Pro is the ultimate smartwatch for my kids. It answers the needs of parents like me who worry about them if they are not within my reach.
Where to Get The Huawei Watch Kids 4 Pro
The Huawei Watch Kids 4 Pro retails at Php9999 in blue or pink colorways via the Online Huawei Store.