The spirit of Christmas is already here! Festivities are everywhere and we at home share a new tradition we are welcoming this year. I recently made a blueberry oats Christmas bread that the whole family enjoyed. This sweet and endearing bread is a great addition to Christmas morning. I envision holding our cups of hot cocoa and this bread on our table. My children enjoyed it well and I would like to share it with you.
Blueberry Oats Christmas Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup USA blueberries, drained
1/8 cup brown sugar
- Put warm water and yeast together and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and milk. Add yeast moisture.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, oats, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients until all have been included in the mix.
- On a flat surface, knead the dough for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel. Let it rest for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix blueberries and brown sugar. Mix and mash. Set aside.
- Roll out dough into a rectangle and divide into three parts. On the first layer, spread the blueberry filling. Place the second layer on the top of the first layer and spread another layer of the filling. Lastly, place the third layer on top of the second layer.
- You may cut the dough to your liking. You can cut it as a circle and make lines around it to resemble a star’s rays. Or you can also go to regular rectangular or square shapes. The trimmings, you can place in a loaf bread pan and bake as a pull-apart loaf.
- After cutting the dough, let the dough rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake the dough for 25 minutes or until thoroughly baked at 350F.
- Brush with butter and dust with powdered sugar before serving.